Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Currently listening to: Week of June 11, 2012

This week we will be spotlighting some new exciting albums from some great bands! This is an exciting time for music and I cannot wait for some new albums to finally be released, including the new Smashing Pumpkins out soon.

To really hear an artist's work, you must look past the hit singles. The entire album is worth hearing to truly get a glimpse of it all in one body of work. Here are some of the albums I am listening to this week.

Assemblage 23 - Bruise (2012)
Assemblage 23 (Tom Shear) has been making music since the early 90s. Tom Shear has released albums on his own label as well as Metropolis Records. Their style can be seen as a mixture of hard electronic in the early days and has evolved to a more synthpop style recently. Many of their singles have reached the top 0 on the US dance and singles charts. Assemblage 23 tours frequently all around the US and Europe. Bruise is their newest album and it marks a change in style for them. There is more of an emphasis on melody and catchy choruses than in the past. Storm is still my favorite from them, but this is becoming one of the albums I keep hearing again and again. This is available in a 2CD deluxe edition set, and my only con with this is that some of the stronger songs should have been included on the first cd, not just the 2nd which is mostly remixes. Here are some of my favorites.
Crosstalk:
The Noise Inside My Head:
God is A Strangely Absent Father:


Peter Heppner - My Heart of Stone (2012)

Wolfsheim was one of my favorite bands and one of the leaders in German synthpop. They had a style and a voice all their own. Peter Heppner's voice is just magical and like nothing I had heard before. When I heard they had broken up after the release of Casting Shadows (one of their strongest releases) I was devastated. Thankfully, Peter has released a new album to please me and some older Wolfsheim fans. This comes in a huge 2CD set. Peter's unmistakable voice makes this a classic. Unlike Wolfsheim, there are more German language tracks here, though you do not have to know the language to love the beauty in it. Here are some standout tracks:
Give Us What We Need:
 Godsmoked:
Meine Welt:

Sugar - File Under Easy Listening (1994)

The last album from the band Sugar featuring Bob Mould. I loved Bob Mould's work with Husker Du and his solo stuff, I went back recently to hear his stuff with his band Sugar. What great stuff! I remember picking up this album originally in a tiny record store in Brooklyn, NY in 2002. I clearly remember not skipping any tracks, what a great album. It was recently rereleased on a 2CD/1DVD set including all the bsides from that period, all the music videos and a performance on MTV's 120 Minutes. This is definitely one you want to listen to and cherish. Here are some of my personal faves.
Gee Angel:
Believe What You're Saying
Your Favorite Thing

Clan  of Xymox - Medusa (1986)

We end this entry with a classic album from one of the leaders in the 1980s goth rock movement. Clan of Xymox are one of the leading darkwave/goth bands from Australia, always offering great lyrics, emotional music, and lovely vocals. This album has some classic songs from the band. I personally prefer their debut selftitled but this would be my 2nd favorite. This band defines gothic music. A wonderful mixture of Kraftwerk and Joy Divison. Here are some of my favorites:
Medusa:
Louise:
Agonized By Love:

No comments:

Post a Comment