Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Currently listening to: Week of June 4, 2012

This week I have been listening to some new music, and some oldies. I've been looking into the underground industrial and goth scene which I felt I have neglected lately. It's never too late to try new things.

To really hear an artist's work, you must look past the hit singles. The entire album is worth hearing to truly get a glimpse of it all in one body of work. Here are some of the albums I am listening to this week.




Men Without Hats - Love In The Age of War (2012)

This album is the band's first in over 10 years. It marks an excellent comeback from this Canadian band. This band is best known as an 80s one hit wonder for the song Safety Dance, but their catalog is filled with a lot more hit songs than this one. This album is no different. Strangely, this album was produced by famed Skinny Puppy and Marilyn Manson producer, Dave "Rave" Ogilvie. He brings a darker edge to this album, along with a sinister new logo. The band has been touring with fellow synthpop group The Human League during this past year. The single from this album Head Above Water has been hitting several indie radio stations and it really gives you an idea of how fun this album truly is. Head Above Water is a bit of a political song, which tackles the struggles we all face just to survive, mortgage, rising debt, but it tells you to believe in love despite all the stuff the world throws at you. Here are some of the greatest songs from this album.
Head Above Water:
Devil Come Round:
Close to the Sun:


Dead When I Found Her - Harm's Way (2010)

This is a new band I just got into. I would describe their sound as very industrial-like with brooding vocals, a heavy Skinny Puppy vibe. I still find it difficult to believe that this was released in the last few years. It sounds more like 80s industrial than actual industrial music from the 80s! There are modern music techniques used but it sounds incredible. Head over to their Soundcloud page to hear the band cover songs from Phil Collins, Nine Inch Nails, Skinny Puppy, Prince and more! I love their sound and I cannot wait to hear their follow up to this. This band first got my attention from several industrial message boards praising them. I had to check them out myself. I was instantly impressed! It's great to hear good music come from a place like Portland, Oregon. This is a band for fans of Skinny Puppy, or Tear Garden, or any of Cevin Key's projects. Here are some great tracks:
Fixer Fixed
Phantoms:
Curtains

Interlace - Imago (2004)

Interlace, like Dead When I Found Her, is another up and coming band in the industrial scene. This Swedish duo has been crafting excellent, hardhitting industrial for years. The first few tracks here are very dance, club-friendly songs, but the later songs evolve into more melodic landscapes. At the same time, it is both personal, and chaotic poetry. This is another band to watch for years to come. Here are some of my personal faves.
Molt:
Sleep On Stones:
Pandora:


Peter Murphy - Love Hysteria (1988)

Peter Murphy's 2nd solo album after the demise of Bauhaus, this album really sees Peter Murphy becoming his own performer, aside from the shadow of the great Bauhaus. The Bowie influences are still there, but Peter seems much more confident in this release as opposed to his debut, Should The World Fail to Fall Apart. This album includes some great songs in Dragnet Drag, My Last Two weeks and the cover of Iggy Pop's Funtime. This is a classic album and anyone who is a fan of 80s goth, or new romantic should own this. Here are some of my personal favorite songs.
My Last Two Weeks:
Funtime:
I've Got A Miniature Secret Camera:

No comments:

Post a Comment