Monday, March 5, 2012

Currently listening to: week of March 5, 2012

This will become a weekly segment. This will just be a breakdown of the albums I'm currently listening to. Singles do not concern me. I like hearing the entire album and seeing how the songs work together as one piece of work. Here are some of the albums I'm listening to as of this week.

1. Kate Bush - 50 Words For Snow

The newest Kate Bush album. Very jazz-influenced. Very ambient. Loving it so far.

2. Mad Season - Above

Layne Staley from Alice in Chains doing blues rock as only he knows how. Very deep, underrated album

3. Magnetic Fields - Love at The Bottom of the Sea
Stephin Merrit (and the synths!) return in this album. I just heard the first few tracks and I couldn't help but notice how short the songs were. They are barely over 2-3 minutes long. Reminds me of 69 Love Songs, though not as emotionally engaging. Tons of genre-hopping and fun lyrics.

4. Fad Gadget - Best of

The late Frank Tovey's synthpop outfit. The first band signed to Mute Records (who would later sign Depeche Mode, Nick Cave, Erasure, and Yazoo), Fad Gadget breathed new life into the synthpop scene and it's a shame they weren't bigger. Influential to the future goth, electronic, and experimental bands in the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment