Thursday, May 3, 2012

Song of the day:Iggy and The Stooges - Search and Destroy

Search and Destroy is one of the most famous song from The Stooges (on this album Raw Power they were called Iggy and The Stooges). It has one of the most recognizable guitar intros and really awesome lyrics. Iggy Pop says he got the idea for the song title from a Time magazine article about the Vietnam War. This appears on their 1973 album, Raw Power. Raw Power was originally produced by David Bowie, but some have complained about it's sound, so Iggy Pop produced it himself later on, giving it a more loud sound by putting all the levels up to the "red", which means it was totally turned up! Many (like me) prefer the Iggy mix because I believe it's more of a real sound, distorted, ugly and pure. Bowie's mix is good, though not as loud so it misses a little something. This song has been covered by such artists as the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Def Leppard, The Hives, Pearl Jam w/Mudhoney, Sex Pistols, Peaches and The Dead Boys. It's a pretty deep song, on the surface it's about Vietnam but it also hints at drug use. This was one of the first "punk" songs and Iggy Pop and The Stooges predated bands such as The Ramones, The Clash, Sex Pistols, Buzzcocks and almost every other seminal punk band in existence. One of the more pure, rawest songs ever. Here are the lyrics and both the Bowie and Iggy mixes.


Bowie mix:
Iggy Pop mix:

lyrics:
I'm a street walking cheetah with a heart full of napalm
I'm a runaway son of the nuclear A-bomb
I am a world's forgotten boy

The one who searches and destroys
Honey, gotta help me please
Somebody gotta save my soul
Baby, detonate for me

Look out honey, 'cause I'm using technology
Ain't got time to make no apology
Soul radiation in the dead of night

Love in the middle of a fire fight
Honey, gotta strike me blind
Somebody gotta save my soul
Baby, penetrate my mind

And I'm the world's forgotten boy
The one who's searchin', searchin' to destroy
And honey, I'm the world's forgotten boy
The one who's searchin', searchin' to destroy

Forgotten boy, forgotten boy
Forgotten boy said hey forgotten boy

No comments:

Post a Comment