Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Currently listening to: Week of May 21, 2012

To really hear an artist's work, you must look past the hit singles. The entire album is worth hearing to truly get a glimpse of it all in one body of work. Here are some of the albums I am listening to this week.

This week's entries are a bit of a blast from the past. I've been revisiting some albums I haven't heard in a while, so we'll pay tribute to that. Enjoy

My Vitriol - Finelines (2000)

Ah yes, My Vitriol. A band which was destined for greatness. This album spawned 4 top 40 UK singles for this band. Sadly this remains their only full-length album to this day. They released an album of demos and bsides and an EP in 2007, but this is their only full length. Their sound harkens back to the work of bands like Smashing Pumpkins, The Catherine Wheel and My Bloody Valentine. Fuzzy guitars, unusual distortion and other shoegazer-like melodies. They pioneered the genre, "nu gaze" which includes bands such as Silversun Pickups, Beach House, M83, and Blonde Redhead.  This first caught my eye when I used to read Kerrang! magazine. I loved their look and how their sound was described, I had to hear more! I loved what i heard and this remains one of the best albums of the 2000s. At times melodic, other times hard. This record is one to cherish. Here are some of my favorite tracks.
Always Your Way:
Grounded:
Ode to the Red Queen:



The Cure - Three Imaginary Boys (1979)

Released as Boys Don't Cry in the US, Three Imaginary Boys was the debut album of the Cure. Their sound here is different from what they are remembered by. They still have a punk-like sound and the songs are a lot more faster than their brooding dirges they would later be known for. Some classic songs are here such as Boys Don't Cry, Grinding Halt and their first single, Killing An Arab (found on Boys Dont Cry), which raised some controversy in the Arab community. The song was based off the book, The Stranger by existentialist author, Albert Camus and later on The Cure released a sticker on top of the album condemning any violence toward Arabs. This album was one of the best debuts to date and still sounds fresh today. Here are some of my favorites:
Boys Dont Cry:
Grinding Halt:
1015 Saturday Night:


The Smiths - Strangeways Here We Come (1987)

The best album from the Smiths and their last, sadly. The band broke up right before this album's release. This features some of the Smiths best songs, such as A Rush and A Push and the Land is Ours, Girlfriend in A Coma, and Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me. This album features some of Johnny Marr and Morrissey's best collaborations and a fitting end to this epic band. I am really sad they broke up, but they left us with lasting memories. Johnny Marr recently told NME magazine that this was his favorite Smiths album. I am inclined to agree with him.  It's amazing how they left on top. They could have achieved so much more though. but at least they left us with some terrific music. Here are some of my personal favorites:
A Rush and A Push and the Land Is Ours:
Girlfriend in a Coma:
Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me:


Bauhaus - Burning From The Inside (1983)

Much like The Smiths album, Strangeways Here We Come, Bauhaus' Burning From The Inside was their last album but the main difference is that you can see the definite changes in this album. Peter Murphy is their main vocalist but on many songs (Slice of Life, Who Killed Mr. Moonlight), both Daniel Ash and David J are on lead vocals. Peter Murphy was gravely ill when this was recorded. This led to the breakup of the band, unfortunetly. This album does feature some of my favorite songs, as evidence by my recent top songs list. I love this album's sound and how disjointed it is in parts. She's in Parties remains one of their best songs and Hope ends the album on a real high note. This album was a very different one, but it led to Peter Murphy's solo career and the band Love and Rockets. A nice farewell to this band. Here are the best songs:
She's In Parties:
Hope:
Slice of Life:

No comments:

Post a Comment